Senior Software Engineer
Do you want to help build a company that strengthens public health, improves the safety of our food and water, fosters research, education, and environmental protection, while making small businesses like craft breweries more successful? If so, we want you on our team.
Chai brings biotechnology into the real world, allowing anyone to perform molecular diagnostics, anywhere. Our solutions are as accurate as a lab test, easy enough for anyone to use, and provide on-site results in an hour.
We're looking for an experienced software engineer and architect to develop the cloud and device-based software that powers our solution, lead junior and off-site developers, and code backend systems hands-on.
What you'll be doing
- Designing and implementing new functionality from the ground up using Ruby on Rails, Amazon Web Services, and other technologies you may bring to the plate.
- Architecting and integrating many modules on an embedded Linux system which runs our devices, including Linux services, databases, web front-end and back-end, bioinformatics software, and a realtime control system.
- Running weekly sprint and frontend acceptance review meetings.
- Breaking down stories and assigning tasks for a team of off-site engineers with various specialties.
- Writing well-tested, highly performant code.
- Designing well-thought-out REST APIs and database schemas and consume REST services.
- Working with frontend, embedded, bioinformatics, and hardware engineers, UX designers, molecular biologists, and marketing + product management to develop products in a very interdisciplinary manner.
We'd love to hear from you if
- You're solid with modern backend frameworks like Elixir Phoenix, Ruby on Rails, or Node.js, SQL & NoSQL databases, RESTful services, and Linux systems. You learn new things effortlessly anyways.
- You have a deep understanding of computer science fundamentals.
- You take pride in making the design simpler.
- You love using Amazon Web Services & microservices to quickly build scalable solutions, and know there's much more to AWS than S3 & EC2.
- You how to organize work, build support, and overcome obstacles to achieve collective goals.
- You're at home working in a diverse team of product managers, hardware & software engineers, research scientists, bioinformaticians, and designers to deliver complex functionality.
- You really care about quality, security, and maintainability.
- You love mentoring more junior team members and teaching them what you’ve learned throughout your career.
What we offer
- Competitive salary & equity
- Health/dental/vision insurance for employees, subsidized for family
- 401(k) plan & FSAs
- Flexible vacation policy
- Fully stocked kitchen + catered lunch on Wednesdays
- On-site shower
- MacBook Pro, large display, and whatever else you need
At Chai everyone works with a great deal of freedom and responsibility. Expectations are high as people are trusted to act independently. We share information openly, think from first principles, and have a candid & trusting culture. We offer you many challenges, an environment where you can achieve phenomenal things, and a front row seat as we disrupt the biotech industry.Apply Now