GMO Test Kit
- Ideal for high school and college students to gain an introduction to DNA diagnostics
- Learn about PCR via an exciting hands-on, real-time PCR experiment that focuses on the gene conferring resistance to various insect pests in plants
- Identify GMO in plant and seeds based on the detection of the Agrobacterium tumifaciens tNOS gene sequences
Chai’s GMO educational kit is designed to provide high school and college students with an introductory exposure to the real-time PCR process for DNA detection. Students will gain hands-on experience to molecular diagnostic procedures commonly used in the real world by life scientists and industrial microbiologists for various applications (molecular diagnostics, genetics, water quality, food testing, forensics and more). Specifically, students will run a real-time PCR experiment to detect the tNOS terminator sequence that is present in genetically modified plants. The kit is optimized for the Open qPCR instrument.
The kit allows a hands-on step-by-step approach to learning. Students conduct sophisticated DNA target detection procedures, similar to ones performed in the real-world, that employ the real-Time PCR process.
- Extract and amplify DNA from food samples
- Perform realistic diagnostic procedures
- Use real-time PCR and melt curve analysis
Students determine the presence or absence of GMO sequences in their food samples and answer the following questions:
- Did we successfully extract DNA?
- Did our PCR work as expected?
- Do we have GMO content?
For classroom use and the recommended curriculum, please email email@example.com to connect with an Application Specialist.
The kit includes all needed reagents and consumables for 50 reactions. The user will need to provide adjustable micropipettes (200 uL and 20 uL volumes) with the respective filter tips.
|Plant Extraction Buffer A||5 mL|
|Reconstitution Buffer “C”||0.05 mL|
|tNos DNA (control)||Lyophilized|
|PCR Master Mix + Hot Start DRY||Lyophilized|
|Reconstitution Buffer||0.7 mL|
|Chai Green 20X Dye||1 mL|
|1.5 mL tubes||30|
|8-strip PCR Strip Tubes||15|
|8-strip PCR Strip Caps||15|