Do you want to build something that's impacting large industries like agriculture, research & education, and security, while at the same time combats consumer fraud, protects the environment, improves global health, and makes small businesses like microbrewers more profitable?
Chai allows anyone to detect anything, anywhere with DNA, transforming biotech into an everyday productivity tool. Our Internet-connected devices are as accurate as a lab test, but cost 10x less, and are easy enough for anyone to use.
We're looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our multi-disciplinary team to develop our next generation of qPCR instruments and related sample preparation products. You’ll use your creativity to find solutions to make biology more accessible by both simplifying processes and increasing affordability. You’ll take ownership of your designs from concept to commercialization by prototyping, validating, creating assembly fixtures, and supporting pilot builds with reliability and manufacturability in mind.
We’d love to hear from you if...
- You feel at home working in a diverse team of product managers, hardware & software engineers, research scientists, bioinformaticians, and designers to deliver complex functionality
- You’re resourceful and don’t mind getting your hands dirty to build, debug, and validate a design
- You take pride in making designs simpler and easier to manufacture while not sacrificing quality
- You’re passionate about developing cost effective, yet cutting edge technology
- You create CAD models, assemblies, and drawings in SolidWorks like a pro
- You understand or are able to learn qPCR technology quickly and can apply your knowledge to support current machine builds
- You’re comfortable working with electro-mechanical mechanisms, machined parts, sheet metal components, and plastic injection molding
- You’ve worked closely and maintained good relationships with vendors in US and Asia
- You love troubleshooting and solving hard problems
- You know or seek to understand regulatory and compliance standards, even though it may not be the most exciting part of the job
- You can explain your work clearly to those who don’t speak “MechE”
- You’re flexible to adapt to the changing needs of a growing startup
- You have a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field with at least 3 years of industry experience
What we offer
- Competitive salary and meaningful stock options
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- 401(k) & FSA plans
- Flexible vacation policy
- Fully stocked kitchen + catered lunch on Fridays
- On-site shower
- 4K display, height adjustable desk, and whatever else you need
At Chai everyone works with a great deal of freedom and responsibility. Expectations are high as people are trusted to act independently. We share information openly, think from first principles, and have a candid, trusting, and respectful culture. We offer you many challenges, an environment where you can achieve great things professionally, and a front row seat as we disrupt the biotech industry.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.